Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Nervous about buying Hyundai or Kia

Reactions
I’m preparing to purchase a top trim level of either the new 2020 Highlander, Pilot, Subaru Ascent or possibly the Palisade or Telluride—I like the interior of the Palisade better and the exterior or the Telluride better.

Here is my dilemma. I test drove the Palisade and really like it. I also like the Telluride. But, I’m nervous about buying the brands based on past less than stellar reliability and reputation, as well as a depreciation level higher than some of the Japanese brands, e.g., Toyota and Subaru. Yet, both CR and JD Power are rating the brands high. I keep my vehicles for a long time (8-12 years) so overall quality and long-term reliability are critical to me.

For those of you who have owned either brand for an extended period of time, have you been pleased with reliability? I know there is a good warranty but I don’t want to be in the shop a lot. :) Any comments will be appreciated.
IMG_0282.jpeg

Palisexy

Reactions
We're also first time buyers too. So far been very happy with our experience with Hyundai.

I’m preparing to purchase a top trim level of either the new 2020 Highlander, Pilot, Subaru Ascent or possibly the Palisade or Telluride—I like the interior of the Palisade better and the exterior or the Telluride better.

Here is my dilemma. I test drove the Palisade and really like it. I also like the Telluride. But, I’m nervous about buying the brands based on past less than stellar reliability and reputation, as well as a depreciation level higher than some of the Japanese brands, e.g., Toyota and Subaru. Yet, both CR and JD Power are rating the brands high. I keep my vehicles for a long time (8-12 years) so overall quality and long-term reliability are critical to me.

For those of you who have owned either brand for an extended period of time, have you been pleased with reliability? I know there is a good warranty but I don’t want to be in the shop a lot. :) Any comments will be appreciated.
View attachment 827

Katsai

Reactions
My immediate family currently owns 4 Kia’s. The oldest nearly 5 years old and the newest nearly a year old. They have been driven a combined 180K miles with no major issues. Only regular and scheduled maintenance, and a few minor issues (i.e. one battery for the oldest, and a couple of small warranty issues and service bulletins per car). None has been in the shop over night, and no work taken more than two or three hours.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for th
My immediate family currently owns 4 Kia’s. The oldest nearly 5 years old and the newest nearly a year old. They have been driven a combined 180K miles with no major issues. Only regular and scheduled maintenance, and a few minor issues (i.e. one battery for the oldest, and a couple of small warranty issues and service bulletins per car). None has been in the shop over night, and no work taken more than two or three hours.
Thanks for the helpful and encouraging response. Much appreciated!

Meto

Reactions
We have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport Limited and have had zero issues with it. I had the same concerns, but what is amazing to me is how rock solid this car is. The paint doesn't even have one mark on it at 31,000 miles and we live in the bug crazy midwest. If I can remove myself from my piece of crap 2019 Acura RDX, I am buying the Palisade.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
We have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport Limited and have had zero issues with it. I had the same concerns, but what is amazing to me is how rock solid this car is. The paint doesn't even have one mark on it at 31,000 miles and we live in the bug crazy midwest. If I can remove myself from my piece of crap 2019 Acura RDX, I am buying the Palisade.
Interesting comment about the Acura. Based on what I’ve read, Honda/Acura products have dropped in quality. I was considering the Pilot until I read about all of the issues that the 2019 has had it even though they have made good progress on correcting the transmission issues. I am leaning more and more toward the Palisade or the new 2020 Highlander once I have an opportunity to drive it. Thanks for taking time to respond.

TM87

Reactions
Just saw today Sonata with blown engine on side of the road next to my house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bakerwi

Reactions
I may have been 15 years ago, but not so much in 2019. Remember every manufacturer makes a few lemons. You just hope you don't get one.

Reactions
The Palisade will be our third Hyundai, previously we were loyal Honda owners.

JohnA

Reactions
We're also first time buyers too. So far been very happy with our experience with Hyundai.
I owned a Genesis and an Equus. Genesis had over 180,000 and ran fine when I sold it. The Equus has 80,000 and has not cost me a penny beyond tires, oil, alignment, etc. I've owned a lot of cars and I would say dollar for dollar and considering repair, these are the best automobiles I have had. I would not hesitate to buy the Palisade.

Hyundai Palisade Posts